Go back to normal view
We are here to worship God and as we do this, we serve the village and local communities. Our regular worshipping community is about 250 people, ranging from the young to those nearing their centenary.
A range of worship styles is offered from The Book of Common Prayer (1662) and formal services with a robed choir to informal worship and prayers held both in the church and hall. We stand in the middle of the spectrum of churchmanship in the Church of England.
Pictured, a group of parishioners during the 'Walk of Witness' which took place through the village on Good Friday.
The Rector, Revd Andrew Doye
Andrew leads the Ministry Team which is supported by churchwardens, the PCC and many more volunteers.
On this site you can find information about how to request services for weddings, baptisms (Christening) or funerals. Please get in touch if you would like to know more or simply talk about it. You can telephone on 01243 372867 or email the Rectory Office.
The Reader, Martin Brown
Articles by our Rector and Reader can be found in the Latest section of our parish website.
Readers in the Church of England preach, teach, lead worship and take funerals.
St John the Baptist Church is the western most Church in the Diocese of Chichester with the edge of its churchyard being the line of the county boundary with Hampshire.
Parts of the Church building date from the 12th Century. Much of the Church was rebuilt in the 1700 and 1800s. From the lych gate to the north porch door lies one of the oldest known Yew tree walks in England dating some 500 years. More about the church building.
The traditions of the Church are mainstream Anglican. There are Sunday activities for children and young people.
The current church organ was designed by Kenneth Tickell and was installed in 2001. Discover the music of Westbourne.
There is disabled access and also toilet facilities inside the church.
The parish includes the hamlets of Aldsworth and Woodmancote. Services of Holy Communion are held at Woodmancote Chapel twice a month and at Christmas and Easter.
2017 is the 125th anniversary of Woodmancote Church. In addition to celebrating this anniversary, an appeal is underway to raise funds towards the present expenses of upkeep and improvement of the building.
> Watch Elizabeth's video on how you can support the Woodmancote Church 125th Anniversary Appeal
> Find out more about the Woodmancote Church 125th Anniversary Appeal (pdf file)
> Donation and Pledge form for the Woodmancote Church Appeal 2017 (pdf file)
Woodmancote Chapel was erected in October 1892 from a corrugated iron ‘flat pack’ known affectionately as a ‘tin tabernacle’. It is the oldest of only two active Anglican ‘tin tabernacles’ still being used for divine service in Sussex and the fourth oldest in the UK.
It was licensed for worship in 1928. In 2012, the Chapel celebrated its 120th anniversary.
The Chapel does not have disabled access, water supply nor a toilet. It does have electric light and heat.
Picture courtesy of Sussex Parish Churches.
We have a recently refurbished hall, located across the road from the Church in Westbourne. This is used by regular groups and is available for private hire. This is offered as a community resource.
Coffee is available usually at the hall after the 9.30am Sunday service.
Westbourne PCC is a registered charity (number 1130732).
We are part of the Anglican Diocese of Chichester which serves the two English counties of East and West Sussex and the city of Brighton and Hove. The parish is part of the Westbourne Deanery, which covers western Sussex from the Downs to the sea.
Our activities include social events (which double as fundraisers) and educational projects. We give away 10% of our ordinary income to charities at home and overseas and raise a further £8,000 or so which is also given away to other good causes. All this supports our aim of living out the love of God and the renewing purpose of Jesus Christ here in Westbourne parish and as citizens of the world. Find out about our charitable fundraising events.