The Westbourne Church community is involved in a number of fundraising initiatives. These include raising funds for the ongoing running of the church's ministry in the parish, the maintenance of the building, and specific projects. In addition, There are also fundraising events held throughout the year for local, national and international charities.
Join us for these exciting events and help our fundraising
Contact details for the events can be found in the pew sheets available in the church. If you want to find out more but are unable to collect a pew sheet, in the first instance, please email the Parish Office.
If you are organising a fundraising event on behalf of Westbourne Church and want it to appear on this page, contact the Parish Webmaster.
- Coffee Mornings - these are held throughout the year for different causes.
On Mondays and Thursdays from 10am to 12pm in the Churchill Room at the Parish Hall, come and join us for teas, coffees, cakes, biscuits and a good chat at the regular drop-in. There is no coffee drop-in held on the first Thursday of the month.
Knit and Natter - If you are a novice or experienced knitter, come along to the Thursday coffee mornings (except 1st Thursdays in the month) to share your projects and queries about knitting while enjoying cake and coffee.
- First Friday lunches are held in aid of a range of charities at home and abroad. These take place in the Parish Hall at 12.30pm. on the first Friday of every month (not including August) and every Friday during Advent and Lent. These events are organised through the Home and Overseas Support Group. Please check notices in the pew sheet and the parish magazine for more details.
- The Fourth Lent Lunch on the 9 March 2018 will be in the Parish Hall at 12.30pm in aid of The Children’s Society, an organisation which has helped 13,000 vulnerable children last year alone.
2017 & 2018 Fundraising
If you have any ideas or would like to volunteer to help with church fundraising in 2017-2018, please contact the Treasurer. The Treasurer and the Fundraising Co-ordinator warmly welcome both suggestions and volunteers for our 2017 and 2018 programme.
Results of 2017 and 2016 activities can be found in later sections on this page. Thanks to everyone for their generosity and support of these events and to the organisers for all their efforts.
- Christian Aid evening - Saturday 12 May 2018 - more details to follow.
- Quiz Night, Parish Hall - Saturday 21 April 2018, Westbourne Parish Hall, 6.45pm for 7pm
Buffet supper and a soft drink
Soft drinks for sale (You may bring your own alcohol).
£7.50 per person
Any profit will go to the general funds of St John the Baptist, Westbourne
- Spring 2018 - Church and Community Dog Walk with Parish Walk. This has been rescheduled from autumn 2017.
- First Saturday in September 2018 - Ride and Stride. Could you get involved and support the churches historic church and our churches here in the Westbourne Parish? All you need is to choose from a number of routes to walk or cycle, and individually or with some friends and family, visit as many churches taking part on the day. You can walk or cycle at your own pace. You can collect sponsorship for the number of churches you visit or miles you cover. Ride & Stride is supported by the National Churches Trust.
> Ride and Stride UK (National Churches Trust)
> Sussex Historic Churches Trust Ride and Stride
- For details of how you can join the 50/50 Club, contact the organisers via the Parish Office.
Fundraising news from 2017 - 2018 events
> Woodmancote Church 125th Anniversary Appeal
The appeal held in autumn 2017 to support works of restoration at Woodmancote Church has had a successful completion. We had set a target of £14,000.
Following an energetic campaign of events, the support of the PCC, and generous individual contributions from churchgoers and villagers throughout the parish, we have achieved a total of £21,500. This will allow us to pursue works in 2018, inside and outside, to restore the Church to its former glories. Well done!
- 2 March 2018 - The Third Lent Lunch in support of The Sheldon Centre, a retreat centre just west of Exeter, where facilities are open to everyone. A programme is offered to support people in ministry, particularly at times of stress or crisis. Visit www.sheldon.uk.com for more details.
- 17 February 2018 - Marmalade Festival 2018 - with the Seville orange season upon us, parishioners were hard at making wonderful jars of marmalade. Croissants and toast served with marmalade, washed down with coffee or tea, were enjoyed at the event. Organiser, Andrew Turner, said: "A huge thank you to everyone who helped with this yesterday and those who came and had breakfast and bought so many jars! We raised more than £400 which is a great result."
- 3 February 2018 - David Nason: Ivor Novello concert
> More details about the event and how to book.
- 5 January 2018, Food and Fizz - Many thanks to all who supported this event and special thanks to Russell and Paula our host and hostess. The event raised £230 for church funds.
- Reverse Advent Calendar 2017
Collecting boxes were available in Church and in the Hall for items for this venture. Thanks to everyone who donated items from puddings, jam, tinned potatoes, tinned meat to toiletries and household items.
- Christmas 2017 charity collections - at our Christingle and Crib Services we raised £371.41 for The Children’s Society. At our service of Lessons and Carols on Christmas Eve we raised £678.14 for Christian Aid which, with matching funds from the UK Government, brings the total to £1,356.28
- 17 December 2017, 12.30pm - Westbourne & Woodmancote Church Family Christmas Lunch, Parish Hall.
A lovely, relaxing afternoon with a delicious three-course meal. Many thanks to everyone, helpers and supporters – this most enjoyable event raised some £700. > The menu which was enjoyed!
- 16 December 2017 - Carols in the Square raised £248 for the charity Stonepillow.
- 2 December 2017, 10am-12pm - Christmas Fair, Parish Hall
Many thanks for the team effort at the Christmas Fair, a record £1,649 was raised with about 130 people attending. Well done to all. Jane S & Amy T.
- 12 November 2017 - Poppy Appeal, The British Legion
Thanks to everyone who supported the appeal which raised £641.
- 29 October 2017 - Fizz, Cream Tea and a talk by Rona Musker about her 'Life with Auntie'.
Thanks to everyone who supported Rona's talk which raised a successful £620 for Church funds. Special thanks to Fiona, Angie and Val for helping with setting up and food on the day and those who helped with the publicity and tickets.
- 29 October October 2017 - DEC Rohingya Appeal
£426 was raised for the appeal to help refugees fleeing from Myanmar. Donations will be doubled by the UK government.
> The Disasters Emergency Committee's call for help for more than 500,000 Rohingya people in need of shelter, medical care, water and food as they arrive in camps and settlements in Bangladesh
> More information on the Disaster Emergency Committee Urgent Appeal
- 27 October 2017, Wine tasting and cheese fundraising evening, Woodmancote Church Restoration Appeal
> Details of the Woodmancote 125th Anniversary Appeal
- 10 October 2017, Woodmancote Charity Quiz night, Woodmancote Pub
£500 was raised for the Woodmancote Church Restoration Fund through this pub quiz and raffle. The Church has served the community of Woodmancote for 125 years. Thank you to everyone supporting the appeal to restore our beautiful Church.
> The Woodmancote Church 125th Anniversary Appeal
- 8 October 2017 - Diocese of Chichester's Harvest Appeal
£425 was raised for the 2017-2017 appeal, which focuses on 'Rebuilding Lives' and 'Encouraging Hope' in our linked dioceses of Kenya, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Liberia and Cameroon.
> Read the leaflet about the Harvest Appeal 2017-2018 (pdf)
- 6 October 2017, First Friday Lunch - Thanks to all who came to join us for home-made soup, bread and cheese and support the work of this month's charity.
- 29 September 2017 - The Coffee Morning for 'Macmillan Cancer Support' in the parish raised £700 plus gift aid. Well done to the organisers and thanks to all who attended and helped.
> Macmillan Cancer Support charity
- 10 September 2017 - Open Tower event as part of the National Heritage Open Days
More than 60 people attended this event after the morning services. More information about the 2017 open day for Westbourne bells.
> More information about the 2017 open day for Westbourne bells.
- 1 September 2017, First Friday Lunch was in aid of the Church Housing Trust (CHT). The CHT charity helps people who are homeless to rebuild their lives. Its roots go back to 1882, when Revd Wilson Carlile began working with homeless people in central London. To this day, it upholds the Christian values of supporting those in need, and helps more than 3,500 people every year.
> Church Housing Trust
- 10 August 2017, Coffee Morning - £400 was raised in support of the Christian Aid. Thanks to the church's Home and Overseas Committee and all others involved.
> Christian Aid
- 15 July 2017, Summer Fete - this new July date for the fete, previously held in August for many years, proved no barrier to success with more than £3,000 raised in support of church funds. Well done to all and thanks especially to the chief co-ordinator Paula.
- 2 June 2017, Leprosy Misson - Thank you to everyone who supported the First Friday Lunch organised by the Church's Home and Overseas Committee and Jonathan and Marjorie's coffee morning. The combined funds plus Gift Aid and a generous contribution from the EU, raised more than £1,300 for the charity. Through its work, this international Christian development organisation, diagnoses, treats and offers specialist care, including reconstructive surgery, to leprosy patients. Its aim is to transform and empower the lives of people affected by leprosy.
> Leprosy Mission England and Wales charity
- Christian Aid Week 14-20 May 2017 – Thanks to all those who helped with collecting in the village and for all the donations. The House to House collection raised the magnificent sum of more than £2,044 – Well done and huge thanks to all our collectors. Christian Aid helps communities cope in disasters and prepare for a better future.
- 30 May 2017 - Christian Aid Curry Supper, Parish Hall. This was the twentieth serving of the legendary annual Curry Supper organised by the Desai family and, sadly, the last. Thanks to all those who attended the recent Curry Supper for the charity. We had a record turnout to celebrate the last time, after 20 years, that the Desai family were going to provide for us. But most of all a huge thank you goes to Ranjit and Joshna who so generously have waived the cost of the food on this occasion, causing us to raise the astonishing sum of £2,000 for Christian Aid, a charity which has always been very dear to them. There will be a full report in the July magazine. Rona Musker
> Christian Aid charity
- 30 May 2017 - Tea Party and Dance, Parish Hall. Thank you all the guests and volunteers who made Westbourne's vintage tea party and dance a success and an enjoyable afternoon treat (especially all that cake). It raised £444. Many thanks to the team.
> Read all about the tea party while you have a cuppa!
- 20 May 2017 - Cake Tasting Event, Parish Hall. This event raised £187 for church funds. Many thanks to all who donated cakes and those who came to taste. Jane S.
- 7 April 2017, Lent Lunch - £155 was raised for USPG, an Anglican mission agency which 'supports churches around the world in their mission to bring fullness of life to the communities they serve.'
> USPG (United Society Partners in the Gospel charity)
- 31 March 2017, Lent Lunch and Church collection - £500 was raised to help support the humanitarian crisis in East Africa and Nigeria through the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC). The DEC launched the East Africa Appeal in March to help the 16 million people it reported as being left on 'the brink of starvation' following drought and conflict in South Sudan, Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. Its member charities are involved on the ground delivering life-saving assistance in the affected countries. It reported: "Across the region, people are in critical need of food, water and medical treatment." Thank you to everyone who gave so generously to this appeal.
- 24 March 2017, Lent Lunch - £155 for The Children's Society which works with disadvantaged children through its network of frontline services and volunteers.
- 25 March 2017 - Mystery Dinner, Parish Hall in aid of Westbourne Church funds. Thanks to all who supported, especially to Rona for organising this event. It was a wonderful evening.
- 17 March 2017, Lent Lunch - £135 was raised for Leprosy Mission England and Wales. This international Christian development organisation diagnoses, treats and offers specialist care, including reconstructive surgery, to leprosy patients.
- 10 March 2017, Lent Lunch - £150 was raised for the Embrace the Middle East, a Christian charity working to 'to help people of all faiths and none to free themselves from a life of poverty and injustice.'
- Friday 3 March 2017, Lent Lunch - thank you to everyone for being so generous. £195 was raised for Glen Lorne which will make a difference to children in Zimbabwe who have very little.
- 25 February 2017, Marmalade Festival - thank you to everyone who helped to make this such a success. Lots of marmalade was sold and many people came in for a late breakfast/midmorning snack! We made £340 or Westbourne Church funds which is a great result.
- 6 Jan & 3 Feb 2017, First Friday Lunches - the lunch in February raised £135 for the Church Urban Fund. The CUF was established by the Church of England as "a practical response to unmet need... Our vision is to see people and communities all over England flourish and enjoy life in all its fullness." The Yemen Crisis Appeal received £470 from the First Friday Lunch and a church collection on 3 February 2017.
- 6 January 2017, Twelfth Night Food & Fizz - many thanks to all who came to this event. £280 was raised for Westbourne Church funds and more importantly fun was had by all. Paula.
Fundraising 2016 News
> Find out about fundraising events held in 2016 in Westbourne Parish
Parish Giving Scheme
If you wish to make a regular contribution to the Church the preferred method of giving is using the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS). Leaflets are at the back of the church or contact our Treasurer, Jonathan Kipling.
In response to enquiries, if you give via the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS), you can ring PGS on 01452 835595 should you wish to increase your giving. You will need your 'PGS contact ID' (which is on the letter/email the PGS sent to you) and advise what you would like to give. If you can not find your contact ID or to find out more about using PGS, speak to Jonathan.
Westbourne Church Restoration Trust (WCRT)
The church has stood for centuries at the centre of our village. It is a lovely building, which exists for everybody in the parish whether they attend church or not. For the church to continue to serve and to be enjoyed by village generations to come, a Trust was created in 1992 to assist financially with its restoration and repair. More details about the WCRT charity.